Dinesh is the CEO of Dhruva Advisors LLP and has been recognized by his peer group as amongst the top tax advisors in India. His ability to relate the business strategies of clients to the tax and regulatory environment has been recognized as unique and has played a critical role in evolving solutions for clients.
Prior to founding Dhruva, he held a series of leadership positions across several large professional service organizations in India. Most recently, he was the Deputy CEO of KPMG India where he played a key role in developing and implementing the firm’s overall strategy.
Dinesh also has extensive experience on entry strategy, fund raising, operating excellence, benchmarking, risk management, etc. across sectors. He has worked with some of the largest domestic and multinational companies in India on several aspects of domestic and cross border taxation including on transfer pricing, tax litigation, tax treaty interpretation, etc.
He has worked closely with the government on several matters relating to corporate and tax policy, tax administration and related matters. He is also a member of the Rangachary Committee set up by the Prime Minister of India for reviewing the taxation of Development Centres and the IT Sector.
Some of the complex mandates that Dinesh has led in Dhruva include:
- Structuring several of the largest acquisitions in the Indian Information Technology and Pharmaceutical space.
- Conceptualizing and implementing one of the largest private sector restructurings in India’s corporate history.
- Helping resolve contentious and recurring tax disputes for one of the world’s largest software and services companies in India.
- Developing cutting-edge solutions for resolving India’s most high profile tax controversies.
- IP structuring for several leading players in the pharmaceutical and technology space.
Dinesh has long been involved in policy reform, both as part of Government Committees and as part of industry associations. His credibility within the Government, coupled with the firm’s technical expertise enables it to win and deliver on complex mandates that straddle planning, dispute resolution and tax advocacy.
- Successfully devised and implemented a strategy for resolving a complex tax dispute involving a leading US multinational in the software/consulting space. Dinesh played a very active role in the resolution of this dispute. He was involved at every stage of the matter, including the development of the strategy and its execution. He was particularly instrumental in the detailed discussions that were required with senior government officials and the law officers in order to successfully resolve the dispute.
- Assisted in devising strategies for resolution of longstanding cross border tax disputes for a telecom giant. This assignment involved a detailed understanding of complex issues of tax, the law relating to international investment disputes as well as insight into the administration’s perspectives on resolving a large and contentious dispute. In addition to bringing to bear his own extensive experience and insights into Indian tax issues, Dinesh put together and led a diverse team with expertise in international law, administrative law, procedure, litigation and policy issues in order to develop the complex, well-thought out solution referred to above.
- Successfully representing India’s most prominent charitable trusts in contentious tax disputes. This assignment required a diverse team of professionals to work together seamlessly in an extremely aggressive time-frame. In addition to providing strategic direction for the entire project, Dinesh played an active role in its implementation at the tax office. This played a key role in the firm obtaining what the client referred to as “an unbelievably positive outcome”.
- Tax efficient asset extraction for a US private equity fund. This mandate was an extremely complex one, flawless delivery on multiple fronts was required for the overall project to be a success. Dinesh was actively involved in the identification of the overall solution, as well as in the delivery of its various components. He worked with multiple teams to ensure that each team’s steps were aligned to the overall objectives and that the ultimate outcomes of the steps could be seamless leveraged into achieving the client’s overall objective.
Areas of Expertise
- Tax & Regulatory
- Cross border taxation
- Transfer Pricing
- Tax litigation
- Tax treaty interpretation
- Financial Services
- Infrastructure & Real Estate
- Technology, Media & Entertainment
- Consumer Goods
- Oil & Gas, etc.
- Bachelor of Commerce, India
- Chartered Accountant (1980)
Professional Memberships and Certifications
- Member of National Executive Committee & Chairman of Taxation Committee at FICCI